5 Ways to Reuse Your Old Windows and Doors
Posted by Canglow
With a little imagination, your old windows and doors can become beautiful and practical fixtures for the inside of your home. Recycling old windows and doors is also environmentally friendly, as it keeps them out of landfills. Making a beautiful piece of art out of your home’s old windows is also a great way of holding on to memories made in past homes.
Recycling your old windows and doors can actually be a very easy project. Leaving the windows as they are, even if they’re in a significantly dilapidated state, can add to their rustic charm. If your existing decor is more refined, consider giving your old windows a fresh coat of paint. Here are 5 great things that you can make of of your old windows or doors.
- A Mirror An old window frame can provide a perfect frame for a mirror. You can find cheap and simple mirrors from a homegoods store.
- A Picture Frame An old window frame naturally will make a great picture frame. This works particularly well with windows made up of multiple segmented panes, as your frame will be able to hold multiple pictures.
- Wall Decoration Simply mounting a particularly attractive old window on the wall or placing it on a shelf can be a fantastic addition to a room. If you are going for a rustic look you could even consider intentionally distressing your window by sanding it down.
- Board of Hooks Mounting several hooks on an old door can make a great fixture to hang coats or anything else. Same goes for windows, which might be better used to hang jewelry or other smaller items.
- A Shelf A window that includes a protruding sill can simply be mounted on the wall and made into a fabulously unique shelf. You can use your shelf as a place to put plants, pictures, or anything else you could imagine.