7 Ways To Reduce Your Energy Costs For The Winter
Posted by Canglow
- Turn Down/Off Your Heating at Night Turn off your heater before you go to bed, or at least turn it down. This way you can reduce your heating bill and save money. Instead, cover yourself with an extra blanket or wear warm night clothing. Heating is usually your biggest expense for the winter, so you would benefit if you can use it sparingly.
- Take Advantage of the Sun’s Natural Warmth Letting the sun light come through your window can do a great deal for heating. Keep the curtains open to let the light through and then keep them closed at night to keep the heat in.
- Regulate the Temperature with Ceiling Fans Ceiling fans can be useful for heating in the winter-if used properly. If you can control the direction in which your fan rotates, then set it to rotate in a clockwise direction in the winter. It will help to retain the heat in your room.
- Make Your Windows Energy Efficient Your windows are not only crucial to keeping you warm but it can also reduce your energy bill. If you neglect this part of your home you can lose a great deal of heating. You can add e-coating to your window to reduce the amount of heat lost. Sometimes it may actually be more cost effective to purchase new (energy efficient) windows altogether and you save money through lower heating costs. You can also purchase energy efficient doors. The windows and doors you purchase should be Energy Star rated.
- Make Sure Your Home Is Leak Free You should search around your home for leaks where heat can escape. Wherever you have pipes, vents, or electrical conduits, check for holes and make sure you seal them off. Caulk is a useful product for patching up small holes.
- Clean/ Replace Your Furnace Filter If your filter is dirty it can reduce the amount of air that is released and your heater will consume more energy in order to function. Conduct regular maintenance on your furnace and make sure that it isn’t clogged with dirt. Repair or replace the furnace if necessary. The money you save is worth it.
- Reduce the Amount of Hot Water in Use Although hot water is necessary at times, it should not be used more than necessary. If possible wash your laundry or your hands with cold water.