Windows are an important part of every home, irrespective of the size of the house. There several styles, designs, finishes and sizes to choose from when it comes to selecting windows for your home in Edmonton, Canada. Here we talk about bay and bow windows, a popular option for home owners who are looking to add that extra shot of class and style to their homes. It does not matter whether you are replacing a window or installing a new one, the sky is the limit when it comes to fueling your creativity for bow and bay windows. However before you set your mind upon beautifying your home with these classy windows, it is important that you know the difference between the two. Gaining this knowledge will help you decide which is more suitable for your home.
- These are three or more large glass panes that are installed at an angle projecting outwards. They extend from the exterior of the house at a certain degree.
- Since they are less curved at simple angles they offer an unobstructed view of the exterior locale.
- Bay windows belong to the Victoria age and architecture that lends it incredible grandeur and style. This feature makes them ideal for Victorian style of houses and mansion. But manufacturers nowadays have adapted these windows making them suitable for modern homes.
- These windows are fixed and cannot be opened for ventilation or air passage. However, they do let in ample light owing to its large size.
- They are either casement or double hung windows with a large center fixed window and two smaller ones on either side that have the option being open or fixed.
- Bow windows are casement windows installed in a gradual curved shape and do not require any extra structural changes as in case of Bay windows.
- These windows allow more natural light to flood the interiors of a home as compared to Bay windows owing to the multiple glass panes.
- Bow windows can be opened or fixed depending upon the needs and requirements of home-owners. If you wish to be able to open them, then you probably have to opt for customized fabricated versions.
- These are at least four or more windows and exterior view is a little obstructed as compared to Bay windows.
Advantages of Bay and Bow Windows
- Ideal for living rooms, these can also be installed in bedrooms, if you prefer natural light in your home. This can be attributed to their enormous sizes and curved shapes.
- These add immense value in terms of style, luxury and class to a home.
- They give the home an airy and spacious look. If you opt for the open versions, you can also expect ample ventilation in your home.
- Allow abundant view of beautiful exteriors from inside the house.
- They are also built with seats and storage, for residents of the house, especially children and pets to sit there and enjoy breathtaking exterior scenic view. Or simply sit with a book and enjoy the sunshine on bright sunny days! However, the cost of construction largely depends on the type of material you choose for the frames.
- They are extremely energy efficient making a room air and water tight.
- They add to the monetary value of your home as they take the visual appeal of your home several notches higher and also add to the square footage of your home.
- They are affordable and low maintenance. Manufacturers often customize these windows to meet the budgetary and aesthetic requirements of home owners. Also they can make to fit any size opening.