How To Make Your Windows Weatherproof Year-Round
- Window Care
Failing to weatherproof your windows can result in heating and cooling losses as much as 30%. This means that you can expect very expensive energy bills. In order to prepare your windows for the seasons ahead, you will want to weatherproof your windows.
Look for any light around your windows and seal all cracks with caulk to prevent any pests and rodents from taking up residence in your home as temperatures begin to drop.
- Weatherstrip your windows; this will act as an additional pane of class and keep heat inside. Remember that you will need to do this every season. You should not reuse weatherstripping plastic from the previous season.
- If you have an older home, ensure that all storm windows are closed properly.
- Hanging insulated curtains is a good alternative for those who don’t like the look of window film. An added benefit is that they block out both light and sound. Alternatively, heavier drapes can work to keep the cold where it belongs. Of course, ensure that you open up the drapes during the day to use the sun’s heat to warm the inside of your house.
- Spring is the time to clean your windows both inside and out and swap any heavy drapes out for lighter curtains.
- Spring is also a good time to check for any leaks and patch up any leaks with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Apply adhesive foam around the edges of windows that are particularly prone to leaking (for example, basement windows).
- If you suffer from allergies, the most effective thing you can do is to replace your windows, as older windows are prone to allowing mold spores, pollen, dust and other debris through them.
- Add blinds or curtains with a white surface that faces out.
- Applying window film to all of your windows will effectively reflect the sun’s heat.
- Replace any tattered weatherstripping.
- Invest in energy-efficient windows, which will ensure that your windows are not trapping the sun’s heat. You will a save significant amount on your next energy bill.
If you are looking to replace your windows, consider Canglow Windows and Doors. We are a Canadian, family-run business with manufacturing that is done in our very own factory. Every window can be tailored exactly to your needs. Our windows are also 100% lead-free uPVC, which is beneficial for both your health and the environment. We also offer expert installation each and every time. Contact us today for a free estimate.