Is It Time to Replace Your Windows?
- Window Replacement
- June 12, 2015
Homes in Edmonton have doors and windows that are subjected to harsh climate most of the year. Summers, as well as winters, are extreme with the mercury rising unusually high or dipping abnormally low! Though most windows and doors companies produce high-quality fenestration, none of them are durable for life as they have to combat external weather conditions that are pretty unfavourable for most months in a year pre-dominantly in summers and winters.
Even if you had good quality windows and doors installed when you built your home and that has been more than five years, then it is a good idea to check the performance of your windows and find out whether they are still operating as they were when they were installed when you built your house years back. The following observations are a sign that your windows need replacement:
- Single glass pane – If your windows have single glass panes, then it is time they are replaced with double or triple glazed panes that shall make your home energy efficient by keeping out external temperatures.
- Air Leaks – If you detect air leaks into your home, this means that the window has lived its life and is screaming for repairs or replacement. It is always a better idea to replace and get new window installations.
- Condensation – Condensation in windows in between glass panes is a common phenomenon, but if it is a regular feature, then it is signalling a damaged window.
- Loud noises from outside – If external sounds are audible inside your home and are disturbing your peaceful sanctum, this means that your windows are failing to keep out the sounds. Most windows are constructed and installed to create soundproof interiors.
- Creaking sounds while operating – When windows become old, it is quite common for them to create creaking sounds while opening or closing. Their movements become stiff and inflexible which again means it is time for window replacement.
- Damaged, rotten or cracked wooden frames – Wooden frames look extremely classy and add a world of charm to homes, but they are also more prone to damage when exposed to extreme climatic conditions. Visible cracks appear and affect the performance of the window.
- Cracks in sills or sashes – This is also common for windows that have weathered extreme temperatures for several years. Improper maintenance and wear and tear often lead to this condition. If you notice this, it is time your windows need an overhaul!
If you observe any or all of the above warning signs in one or many of your windows, then window replacement is what you need. It is always good to examine windows and doors periodically for timely detection of defects that may creep in over a period of time. Replacing windows will make your home:
- Energy-efficient as you will have windows made from the latest technology,
- Give your home a new and modern look with updated designs
- Increase the comfort within your home and living space